Szechenyi Bath House
Overall Budapest made a 'grand' impression on me...from the long stretch of beautiful historic buildings along Andrassy Rd to the palace-like bath house in city park, Szechenyi. The Hungarian bath was a completely different experience than the Turkish bath we went to in Antalya. First of all, there is no scrub down involved, although the Budapest bath house does offer massages and other spa treatments. The main experience is simply soaking in the hot and cold indoor and outdoor pools and relaxing in the saunas. I've actually only tried sitting in a sauna once in a health club and I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I should. So, I gave it another try in Budapest and I must say that I now realize why I didn't enjoy it...the hot, humid air literally gives me the feeling of claustrophobia. Does anyone else feel this way? And then there was a sauna with menthol steam and I literally could only tolerate it for a few seconds. What a strange sensation...
Budapest was yet another city Jon has visited previously...however, some things have changed. For example, the bath house has been renovated and the indoor pools have turned coed since the time he and Matt Fouts visited. Perfect for us since, of course, I would not have enjoyed sitting in a pool full of strangers as much as I did alongside my husband (hee, hee...still getting used to saying that!).
There are several bathhouses in Budapest but it sounds like Szechenyi is one of the best and one of the most reasonably priced. But I think it could be fun to try out more than one bath house if you have the time and if you feel the need to take a break from the city sightseeing.
Advice: bring your own towel, bring flip flops to walk around the grounds, bring your own soap if you wish to shower afterwards (and they do have hair dryers although you may only find a couple that actually work) and make sure you pay attention to your locker number because the number on your key will not match your locker number.
Szia (So long)!
Budapest was yet another city Jon has visited previously...however, some things have changed. For example, the bath house has been renovated and the indoor pools have turned coed since the time he and Matt Fouts visited. Perfect for us since, of course, I would not have enjoyed sitting in a pool full of strangers as much as I did alongside my husband (hee, hee...still getting used to saying that!).
There are several bathhouses in Budapest but it sounds like Szechenyi is one of the best and one of the most reasonably priced. But I think it could be fun to try out more than one bath house if you have the time and if you feel the need to take a break from the city sightseeing.
Advice: bring your own towel, bring flip flops to walk around the grounds, bring your own soap if you wish to shower afterwards (and they do have hair dryers although you may only find a couple that actually work) and make sure you pay attention to your locker number because the number on your key will not match your locker number.
Szia (So long)!


No comments:
Post a Comment