
Penang is really just another big city in our opinion. It was certainly interesting for a few days. We probably spent way too much time shopping at the Komta and not enough time researching the right spots to eat because we didnt find the "best" food here as everyone proclaims. Although the Indian food we tried at a small cafe in little India was fantastic. In fact, I didnt care too much for previous Indian dishes sampled in Chicago but I loved the chicken (ayam in malay) tandori and garlic naan I tried in Penang! Add cheese to the naan (large round flat bread) and it is even more yummy!
I must write a review of our hotel: Hutton Lodge as we would highly recommend it. First of all it is a restoration of an old colonial style home so of course Jon and I love it for its character. The staff are really friendly. The rooms and shared bathrooms are all super clean (you can get your own bathroom but not necessary here as the bathrooms are large and again very clean). Our room was very simple, no TV which would be nice but again you wont spend much time in your room anyway.
Warning: dont stay on or near Love Lane; we checked the area out and like the LP mentions it is very seedy!
The main highlight was the Penang World Music Festival. Once a year they bring together musical artists from around the world to showcase their local instruments and sounds. The Saturday show we attended included bands from Malaysia, Ireland, Canada, and Croatia. It was great to just plop ourselves on the ground (like Ravinia) amidst the hundreds of other locals and a few foreigners and just feel like we were at home in this city so far from home.
No comments:
Post a Comment